I know many of you are laughing right now because you don't think that there is ANYTHING that we could do in Olney that is not offered other places. Well, think again! Check out this photo then I will give you an explanation.
I would like to be the first to tell you all about the "One Arm Dove Hunt" that is put on every September here in the great town of Olney, Texas. You read it right and you can see the picture correctly, it is truly a dove hunt for people with one arm. There are two men, both with the name of Jack, who at some point in their life lost an arm. I am not sure how it originally got started but I can only imagine that it started due to the fact that if you are a male and you live in Texas you probably hunt some type of animal whether it be a dove or a deer. Back to the story.Each year anywhere from 50-100 one arm hunters come to participate in the hunt. There is only one motel in Olney and it goes by the name of "The Pipeliner." Let's just say it is a place that makes the Super 8 look like a 5-star motel. "The Pipeliner" is completely sold out during the hunt and I am sure there is quite a mess after the hunters clean their prizes at the end of the day! They have all types of festivities but the one I thought you would enjoy the most is the "Glove Exchange." The said "Glove Exchange" is quite simple. Everyone brings a pair of gloves to the hunt and when it is time they throw the glove that would go on their "other" arm into a pile. Then they can each find a glove that they can put on their only hand they have. Pretty smart if I do say so myself!
Now that you know about one of the "biggest" events that takes place in the big city that I live in, I am sure we will start getting visitors right and left!!! Eat your hearts out!

No comments:
Post a Comment