Friday, October 16, 2009

He will always be my hero...


It seems like I have so much to post about but yet I don't have the time to post about all of it so you may get posts about things that happened a while back. As of today we have been in Texas for over month and this weekend is the first weekend we have been in our house. We were actually going to go to McMurry University's homecoming (that is my alma mater) in Abilene until Katelynn woke up this morning with a 101.9 fever. (there will be more about that in the next post)

Last weekend we took a trip to Jake's hometown, Clyde, Texas. The reason we went was because the Clyde Chamber of Commerce asked Jake to be the Grand Marshall of their Pecan Festival Parade. When Jake first told me about it I can't lie, I straight up laughed my head off and told him he was seriously "a home town hero." But as time went on and I heard more about the festivities I realized what an honor it was for them to ask him. One of the most heart warming parts about it was that the last time Jake attended the parade his grandpa was the Grand Marshall and he drove Jake's red convertible Mustang. That in itself made the whole trip worth it.

As well as being in the parade, First National Bank honored Jake with a reception in the bank lobby. It was such a blessing to hear all of the amazing things everyone said about him not only from when he was a young man living in Clyde but as an adult as well. All the men shook his hand and all the ladies gave him a hug and with each one I realized how much I truly love my "hero." Watching the love that Jake was shown for his service in the military makes me pray that all soldiers are given the same hand shakes and hugs from the people of their home town. If you know someone in the military make sure that they know how much you appreciate what they have and will continue to do.

The third reason we went to Clyde was for Jake's 10 Year High School Reunion. We were able to hang out with two of Jake's best friends and their wives and it was great to be around such loving people. Jake and I look forward to getting together with everyone a lot more now that we are back in Texas. Enough of the narrative here are the pictures which most of you want to see anyways.


Doesn't he look so handsome in his uniform? Katelynn and I rode in the truck because Katelynn did not want to let her daddy out of her sight.

Waving at his parents while Katelynn was screaming everyone's name.

K playing with her Aunt Mo. I wouldn't have survived the weekend without her.
Back row: David, Jake, John and Matt
Front row: Ashley, me, Aubrey and Lani.

Jake with Don Settle. Those of you who have heard of "Don the Deer" this is Don the man's land that Jake shot the buck on.

Jake and David.

Grandmother, Aunt Mo and K trying to stay warm

Jake and Grandmother sharing a sweet moment after the parade.

Aunt Ginger did a great job of stopping traffic so we could cross the street. Katelynn was so excited to go see everyone that she didn't even notice that her skirt was all the way up to her belly button!

No comments:

Post a Comment