Friday, April 23, 2010

Ice Cream Anyone?

This past Wednesday I made ice cream cone cupcakes for a going away party for Katelynn's friend, Lucy. Her dad was our music minister at church and he excepted a job at another church. He and his wife are very talented and our church will miss them. Back to the cupcakes at hand. If you want to make these you should because they are really easy. Here is how you make them and what you will need:

Cake mix (I used the one with sprinkles because it was for little kids)
Ingredients listed on back of cake mix box
Sugar cones Icing (I usually make homemade butter cream icing but I didn't this time)
Sprinkles or whatever toppings you want

Buy a box of either regular sized or mini cones. I used regular sized and normal tan colored ones because when you live in Olney you take what you can get. I did read on another blog that you can use the miniature ones and they work really well because they are bite-size and great for a snack. I also think they would be even more cute if you could find the colored cones.

Next, mix up cake mix according to the directions on the back of the box. Pre-heat the oven based on the directions on the back of the box as well. Line ice cream cones in a baking pan, be careful they tip easily. REALLY EASILY!!!! Using a spoon or scoop add raw cake mix to each cone until about 3/4 full. Carefully place baking dish in oven. If any cones tip over quickly pick them back up. Bake according to the cake mix box for cupcakes – usually around 15-20 minutes. When they are looking brownish on top use a cake tester to make sure they are done in the middle. If they are done (tester does not come out wet) remove the pan from the oven and carefully remove cones onto a cooling rack keeping them upright.

When they are cool ice them with the icing. I used a piping bag with a large round tip in order to make the icing look more like ice cream. Then add sprinkles or whatever you want to match your party. Enjoy!!!

This is what your cupcake will look like when you get it out of the oven.
Not too bad for my first try. I had to use the sprinkles I had on hand and they were really light pastels. I think next time I will dye the icing and use brighter sprinkles.
Here is Katelynn and Lucy giving her hugs. This little girl is the most lovey-dovey little thing.
K and all of her "fends" at church.
Ice cream!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool Holly! I've never even heard of those, but I LOVE it! :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you use the miniature muffin pans, they stand up a LITTLE bit better.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete