As of September 8, 2009 Jake is no longer an Active Duty soldier in the US Army. That date was the beginning of his terminal leave that will continue until November 4th which will be his End Time of Service. Despite our excitement of not having to worry about deployments, we will always miss and be grateful for the wonderful friends and experiences we gained during Jake's time in the Army. Many of you have asked me if him getting out will be a big transition and my answer to that is, yes. When you marry someone in the service you join the "Army way of life." It would take me too long to explain that and even after I did those of you who are not military still quite won't understand and those of you who are know exactly what I am talking about. Well, I could talk forever about this but I won't bore you so just enjoy the pictures!
This was the sign in front of Jake's Battery. I wanted a picture and Jake thought it was weird but as you can see I won!
The ceremony got off to a funny start because as soon as it started Katelynn jumped out of her seat and ran towards her daddy. I of course was in heels so I am sure I looked quite funny trying to chase her. The best part to me was seeing some of the soldiers bust out laughing. They were all so great with K when we would go and see Jake at work so they were not surprised when she ran out!
This is Jake giving his speech. He spoke so eloquently and I was very proud of him. While he was speaking I fell in love with him all over again and I had to not look at him because he was making me choke up!
I got a beautiful bouquet of red roses. This is a tradition that also includes giving the incoming Commander's wife/mother a bouquet of yellow roses.
Here Jake is passing on the Battery colors over to LTC Rendon who then passed them on to CPT Plessinger.
This is Headquarters Headquarters Battery (HHB) in formation.
After the ceremony getting ready for the receiving line. This was my favorite part of the whole ceremony because I was able to get a glimpse of what his superiors, peers and subordinates (hate this word but couldn't think of another one) thought of him. Hearing what others had to say about Jake was a true testament to what type of leader Jake was during his time in the Army. One of Jakes soldiers said this and it made me choke up, "Sir, thanks for getting me and all my buddies home alive." I am going to move on because I am tearing up right now.
Jake's parents, Tom and Shelley, and his older brother, Weldon, came all the way from Texas to attend. It meant so much to the both of us that they were able to come. Thanks all of you!
I loved K's outfit that I got from a boutique in Clarksville. She did really well and even hammed it up when she needed to.

No comments:
Post a Comment